Thursday, November 14, 2019

Research & Genre Convention Blog

    Today, which is Thursday November 14, 2019, I was expecting to spend the whole day at school. This meant that I would be able to attend class and find out the plan for the new project in Aicemedia.   However, due to the fact that my immune system has been struggling greatly I wasn’t able to be present. The flu has been going around and it made sure I didn’t get a pass. Due to the heavy rain in South Florida and people in my environment constantly coughing and sneezing in the atmosphere, I caught the same thing. I had to travel to FLHS’ nurse because I was having a difficult time breathing. My nose was clogged to the point where I now had to use my mouth to inhale and exhale which isn’t that effective. The nurse then said that my blood saturation was lower than the average which meant my breathing was abnormal. She suggested I contact my mother to pick me up immediately because if the breathing saturation got even lower the school would be forced to contact paramedics.
     Thanks to friends who had this class in previous periods I was able to find out the designated assignment. After finishing and submitting our FLHS Fright Night Commercial on Tuesday, my group and I immediately began brainstorming ideas for this new project. At first we were going for something in the comedy category. A music video that would make its viewers laugh uncontrollably. However, for some reason we became stuck on the idea of doing an old school R&B song. If no one knows this, I absolutely love old school R&B. I started thinking of artists like Bobby Brown, New Edition, TLC, Whitney Houston, Boyz 2 Men, Kelly Price, Aaliyah, and much more. I listen to Bobby Brown and the New Edition group religiously so I immediately began suggesting songs like “Cool it Now” by New Edition, “Every Little Step” by Bobby Brown, or “Scrubs” by TLC. These songs are vibrant and fit the group’s personality because we enjoy having fun and feeling upbeat. These music videos make the audience want to be in the artists position. If you can’t sing or dance, you definitely wanted to learn how because of these videos. They make you want to either sing your heart out to someone you love or express that you can handle this world all on your own. These artists are often seen as just famous people portraying a role they took on when they got into the music industry, but they really are trying to get the audience to understand them and the message they’re trying to put across. 
       Now because my group has a hard time communicating things at times, I’m not sure what song they chose without me being present. This means I have to select a song I’d use for the music video. That song would be “Cool it Now” by one of my favorite groups, New Edition. This group consisting of originally 5 males tell a story in the song. Associated in the Contemporary  R&B genre, the song is very relatable to teens. The young boys in the song are having mix feelings about loving a girl and all the issues that come with it. 4 out of the 5 boys try to warn their friend not to move so quickly with this girl the 5th boy seems to be in love with. They believe he’s going to lose control and fall in love. The boy, however, believes his pals are hating and doesn’t care for their opinion on someone he truly likes. In the music video, the singers and other actors are found wearing bright colors in a style that young people in this generation would see as hideous. The costumes don’t match as the boys are wearing different pieces of clothing throughout. They obviously like to stand out and are doing a great job at it. The video’s lighting comes from our basic source of energy, the sun, because the boys are outside playing basketball. Although they are somewhat acting to give the music video some structure, this is also how they would behave if it wasn’t a music video. So while they are roughly playing basketball as typical boys would, the female lead is acting in a way that makes her extremely cute and attractive to one of the boys in the New Edition group. The boys trying to convince their friend that he’s making a bad decision are doing a great job at acting because they are very convincing. It’s difficult to tell if they have on make up because there isn’t any extreme close ups in the video. Props used in this video are very little compared to how artists in the modern day use to make their videos more appealing. In “Cool It Now” the only present prop is a basketball that the boys used to play with. The setting of the music video is a basketball court surrounded by a park area for teens to hangout. The video’s camera angles vary from low angles to high or two people shots to show the in love boy and girl. These different camera angles and shots make the eyes continue to move and makes the audience want more action. The editing is pretty simple as people in the 80-90s probably didn’t care much for cool art tricks and effects like kids do now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment